Thursday, February 16, 2006

St. Joseph's Day a little over a month away


I went and got the mail today, and my new issue of Catholic Digest had an article on doing a St. Joseph day altar. I love doing these because of the fellowship that they foster.

For those not familiar with the tradition on March 19 it is an Italian tradition (mainly Sicilian, but some of southern Italy as well.) To erect a three level altar representing the Holy Trinity and the Holy Family and decorate it with food and religious items. We invite family and friends and share food and company.

I love to cook. My wife will sometimes not let me go grocery shopping because she says I go "Italian Chef" and buy too much :) I do try and feed an army.

Working in a college town, my wife and I often make food and invite the students we work with over. We call it our "feed a hungry student program."

Off and on over the next month I'll post some recipes and traditions for St. Joseph's Day, as well as some comments on St. Joseph himself.

It is important to remember that St. Joseph's Day, as all Christian holidays and feast days, have the glorification of Christ as their main objective. It is Joseph's obedience and fidelity to God's word and his loving care of Christ that makes him special to us.

Joseph has four special attributes:

Fidelity to Grace
His Interior Life
His Love for Mary
His Love for Christ

I'll do a post on each of these in the near future. So if you like Italian food, keep reading over the next month.

Virtual St. Joseph Altar (link)
St. Joseph's Day info (link)
St. Joseph's Day from Catholic Culture (link)

1 comment:

Deacon John said...

Here is a prayer to St. Joseph that is over 1900 years old:
This prayer was found in the fiftieth year of Our Lord Jesus Christ. In 1500's it was sent by the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. I have a special devotion to St. Joseph. Each day I recite this prayer and ask him to obtain for me the grace of being a good father, a good husband and have the virtue of chastity according to my state in life. It works!
**********************************
O St. Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen
**********************************
Say for nine consecutive mornings for anything you may desire. It has seldom been known to fail.

Promises:
Whoever reads this prayer or hears it or carries it, will never die a sudden death, nor be drowned, nor will poison take effect on them. They will not fall into the hands of the enemy nor be burned in any fire, nor will they be defeated in battle.

Imprimatur
Most Rev. George W. Ahr
Bishop of Trenton