Sunday, March 26, 2006

Abdul Rahman likely to be set free...but far from safe

The story explains it, but it says that the "lack of evidence" is that fact that they believe that to be Christian you are crazy. Now, the worry is that if freed, he will be killed if not allowed to leave the country.

His comment on the issue:

"I am serene. I have full awareness of what I have chosen. If I must die, I will die," Abdul Rahman told the Rome daily, responding to questions sent to him via a human rights worker who visited him in prison.

"Somebody, a long time ago, did it for all of us," he added in a clear reference to Jesus.

Rahman also told the Italian newspaper that his family — including his ex-wife and teenage daughters — reported him to the authorities three weeks ago.

He said he made his choice to become a Christian "in small steps," after he left Afghanistan 16 years ago. He moved to Pakistan, then Germany. He tried to get a visa in Belgium.

"In Peshawar I worked for a humanitarian organization. They were Catholics," Rahman said. "I started talking to them about religion, I read the Bible, it opened my heart and my mind."

This man continues to amaze me. Could I, or rather would I, with my life in the balance say:


"I am serene. I have full awareness of what I have chosen. If I must die, I will die, somebody, a long time ago, did it for all of us."

May the Lord be with him, and I am sure He is. But may He also be with us, so we remember that he is not the only one who goes through this. In Egypt the Coptic Church has stood firm for over 1400 years. In Turkey and India and all across the globe things are said and done, such as the quote from the mother of Fr. Santoro after he was murdered while praying:


Fr Andrea’s mother forgives with all her heart the person who armed himself to kill her son and feels great pity for him, as he is also a child of the one God that is Love.’”

All around us there is the true expression of Christian love and sacrifice.

For Abdul Rahman.
For our beloved Coptic brothers and sisters.
For the Christians of Turkey and India.
For those throughout the world who are examples of all that we are called to be.
Be for them a mighty shelter O'Lord.
Let our strength be theirs and their strength be ours as One Body;
and let it all flow from Your infinite and boundless love and mercy.
Lord Hear our prayer and let our cry come unto Thee.

No comments: