Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Imam Beats Six Year Old Girl for Stepping on his Prayer Carpet


This is just disgusting. Gateway Pundit has the (links) to the first story. A imam beat a six year old girl for accidentally stepping on his prayer carpet.

I have, in my life, interrupted people and been interrupted in prayer. I have never beaten or have had the tar beaten out of me. And I have interrupted nuns.

Every time, usually if I needed to see a sister during a lunch period and went to her classroom, I interrupted a nun in prayer…I’ll tell you what happened.

Sister would put down her rosary or her prayer book, smile and help me with whatever I needed. When I asked what she was doing, she would tell me. The best answer I ever got in that situation was when I was 9. Sister Rita Ann, Sister of Saint Joseph. She was my favorite teacher ever:

“I’m sorry I interrupted your prayers Sister.”
“Life is a prayer David. It can not be interrupted. You’re here for the make-up math test?”

I think I did well on that test, It might have been fractions. I’m ¼ positive I did well.

Life is a prayer. Those words came back to me today when my wife told me about this story. Make your life a prayer. From birth to death, make all you do an offering to God. If you are interrupted by sin or doubt, stand up and keep moving. Keep praying.

Moustafa Lazrak’s prayer to God was the beating of a child for a perceived offense against a symbol of his faith.

2 comments:

Gina said...

It's terrible, and hardly a rare occurrence. I remember a Turkish friend telling me he was beaten by his religion teacher for respectfully questioning Islam. That, despite Turkey's education system's pretensions of secularism. Later he became a Christian, so perhaps this little girl will also remember her "lesson."

Bent El Neel said...

How horrible!!! But also how stark is the contrast between your story and hers?
I won't judge Islam itself....but I'll tell you that the Islamic world lives a life almost devoid of spirituality, with much emphasis on rituals and physical matters. So much so that the prayer rug became more precious than the prayer itself.

Shame!